Power Yoga is a Western adaptation of Ashtanga Yoga. It has numerous benefits and has various techniques. Power Yoga is basically a western adaptation of the Ashtanga Style of Yoga which is practiced in India. It was introduced by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, a renowned Sanskrit scholar who inspired many Western Yogis by his innovation in yoga (Ashtanga).
Power Yoga is now being practiced in the US a lot and has presented the world with the new and revised concept of yoga. Many have benefited from it as it has proved to be a blessing in disguise. Let us see some of the distinct features of Power Yoga.
Western Power Yoga is done by a sequence of yoga poses; coordinating one’s breathing patterns to each movement. According to a person who doesn’t practice yoga, the movements may seem very soft and easy going. However, for a power yogi the entire process is quite vigorous as every limb has to be pushed to a level assuring inner peace inside one’s body.
A major aspect of Power Yoga includes Surya Namaskara also known as ‘Sun Salutation’ in English. It basically means to greet the sun and is considered a favorable technique of yoga.
It usually requires a lot of warm-up before carrying it out. A warm room is chosen in order to help the yogis achieve certain flexibility to perform yoga poses.
Power Yoga is extremely useful in various ways. Some of its benefits are given below.
Benefits of Power Yoga:
- Pulse rate decreases
- Respiratory rate decreases
- Blood Pressure decreases
- Cardiovascular efficiency increases
- Respiratory efficiency increases
- Gastrointestinal function normalizesBreath-holding time increases
- Joint range of motion increase
- Grip strength increases
- Eye-hand coordination improves
- Dexterity skills improve
- Reaction time improves
- Posture improves
- Strength and resiliency increase
- Endurance increases
- Energy level increases
- Weight normalizes
- Sleep improves
- Immunity increases
- Pain decreases
- It bolsters strength, stamina, and flexibility.
- It improves one’s ability to focus.
- It’s a great way to release tension and anxiety.
- It helps a person maintain proper posture.
- It tones your body well.
- It’s a good way to remove bodily toxins through sweat.
- It serves as a great training for athletes.