We all have a love- hate relationship with sequins, don’t we? There are days a sequinned anything (read micro minis and tank tops) feel like the most invincible choice of outfit – whether it’s a night-out with our girls or on a special date night. And then, there are days when pairing anything with sequins feels like an enormous task because we’re not really feeling that much disco.
But, if our Bollywood’s style squad’s recent appearances are anything to go by, wearing sequins for days is the antidote for anything, because we’re ALL always just a little bit disco! There is more to sequins than a hot little party number – there are jumpers, bombers and even saris that are all kinds of cool and wearable.
Here are 7 times our leading ladies inspired us to shine a tad bit more than usual.
1. Sonakshi Sinha marries athleisure and sequins in this outfit by Monisha Jaisingh. Pairing her long white shirt with a sparkly jumper, the actress elevates sequins to daywear.
2. The sparsely sequinned net Sabyasaachi sari sported by Priyanka Bose is ideal for anyone who is sceptical about looking too shiny. The pastel hue together with the see-through fabric is equal parts minimal and evening-appropriate.
3. Malaika Arora works the sequinned, chequered pattern on her low-plunging, bodycon dress. Choosing to keep her hair in a sleek ponytail, the actress stays off any detail that could potentially crowd her Balmain look.
4. Sayani’s Gupta‘s all-over sequinned dress by Monisha Jaisingh is a lesson in party dressing. Next time, when going for a similar style, keep your hair simple and your accessories, minimal
5. If head-toe sequins make you cringe, throw over an embellished bomber a la Esha Gupta. The seriously sequinned ASOS outerwear pairs best with monotone separates and all-black everything.
6. Shilpa Shetty ‘that body, we can’t even’ Shetty proves that sequins needn’t be always overpowering. Her fully-sequined, nude-hued jumpsuit by Karn Malhotra fits her to the T, with the only pop of colour coming through her red lips.
7. Kareena Kapoor gives the trend her approval as she sports sequins on her Victoria’s Secret sweatshirt. The embellished BOOM logo, together with the fedora is quite on point, proving Bebo can make even walking through an airport look seriously stylish.